Accessibility at West Perth Public Library
West Perth Public Library is committed to being responsive to the needs of everyone who visits the library and is working hard to ensure that service is provided in an accessible manner.
Physical Accessibility at West Perth Public Library
At the time of the library's expansion in 2008, every effort was made to make the building physically accessible.
- Main entrance at ground level is wheelchair accessible
- An elevator is available to access all levels of the library
- The public washrooms are wheelchair accessible
- Public computer stations are wheelchair accessible
- Two of the three public internet computers are equipped with Large Print keyboards
- The library has a wheelchair and walker available for use by any patrons who may need them while in our building
- Braille signage at the library elevators
Library Collections for people with disabilities
There is an extensive collection of audiobooks on cd. These are available for borrowing for listening either on your computer or personal cd player.
West Perth Library supports its CELA clients by ordering CELA audiobooks for use on DAISY players. The library has 3 DAISY players available for borrowing by CELA clients.
Downloadable Audiobooks and eBooks
Thousands of digital books for reading or for listening are available through downloadLibrary.
Inter Library Loan/CNIB
West Perth has a steadily growing collection of braille books for children courtesy of a bequest from the Larkworthy family. These are available for request through Interlibrary loan.
Library patrons can access a variety of Large Print titles by searching the catalogue or by asking a staff member for assistance.
Search for graphic novels in the library's catalogue when seeking easy to understand stories.
Accessible Customer Service
As part of the Municipality of West Perth, the West Perth Public Library will promote accessibility through policies, practices and procedures that consider people with disabilities.
Reasonable efforts will be made to ensure the following:
- Library services are provided in a manner that respects the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities.
- The provision of Library services to persons with disabilities will be integrated unless an alternate measure is necessary, whether temporarily or permanently, to enable a person with a disability to obtain, use or benefit from the services.
- Communication with persons with disabilities will be conducted in ways that take into account their disability.
- Persons with disabilities may use assistive devices and/or support persons and/or service animals in the access of Library services.
West Perth Public Library welcomes input from the public to help identify ways in which we can improve accessibility in collection, programs, services and spaces. Members of the public are encouraged to share their comments or suggestions by contacting:
Rosemary Minnella, Library CEO
Mail: 105 St. Andrew St., PO Box 100, Mitchell ON N0K 1N0
Accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request.